The Initial Breathing Apparatus Wearer's 5 day course is in association with Newcastle fire academy.
Available on request
The academy's own training establishment.
Learning objectives (dependent on the course)
- Identify when to adopt breathing apparatus
- Demonstrate the importance of effective team work
- Understand the physical restraints of breathing apparatus
- Demonstrate skills when working in heat and smoke
Students should be physically fit and not suffer from any medical conditions (this course can be strenuous). No pre-course notes are required as literature is distributed during the course. All training is conducted in accordance with current Fire Service technical bulletins (1/97). The course would suit individuals who have had no previous experience when dealing with breathing apparatus.
Programme (dependent on the course)
- Physiology of respiration (theory presentation)
- Breathing apparatus set description
- Breathing apparatus cylinders/durations
- Breathing apparatus general checks
- Donning and start-up procedures
- Doffing procedures
- The importance of record keeping
- Technical Bulletin 1/1997 procedures
- Wearer distress (theory presentation)
- Entrapped procedures
- Walk/run/climb exercise (practical exercise)
- Breathing practical exercise in restricted vision
- Control procedures
- Working in heat and smoke